Wednesday, December 26, 2012

another christmas wrapped up

I think once you're over age 12 it truly is more fun to give than receive at holiday time, but every now and then you get some presents that surprise you.  One of my best gifts this year was from a handsome fellow with a Vandyke beard who gave me Dreamfarm's Teafu tea ball strainer, something I didn't know I needed but am enjoying very much.  I have an off and on relationship with loose tea, and it's currently on again because I made my own holiday blend this Christmas, but I was fine with using metal or mesh strainers until I got this curious Teafu gadget.  The handle is ergonomic, the strainer itself stands upright, plus it's designed to let you squeeze the silicone tea ball and really drain the leaves and essence out.  And it comes in various colors, which is always exciting (mine is an electric spring green).  My old metal strainer has become an ornament for the tree, and it actually looks kind of cute in its second life.  Another highlight from the holidays was a recipe for Masala Chai Sugar Cookies tweeted by Argo Tea and originally from this tasty website -- Chai cookies and Chai icing -- that's well worth getting out the parchment paper and rolling pin for.

(Pictured:  A Young Girl Dressed Up for Christmas -- Kate Greenaway, Wikimedia Commons)