Tuesday, January 11, 2011

verona and its caffè

I was happy to be gifted with some Starbucks Caffè Verona this Christmas, described on the package as a full-bodied blend of Latin American and Asia/Pacific coffees, with Italian Roast...added for depth.  And that's where they get me, with the Italian Roast part.  I can't quite relate to the further description of it being the flavor of a fire-roasted marshmallow after you pull off the darkened cap, mainly because in my campfire days I was always very meticulous about only toasting marshmallows to a pale golden brown and not roasting them in the least.  And since I've been drinking it in the morning, I'm not following Starbucks' suggestion of enjoying Caffè Verona with "[c]hocolate truffles and dinner guests."  But it is pleasantly addictive! 

"How use doth breed a habit in a man!" -- Two Gentlemen of Verona, Wm. Shakespeare

Pictured:  View of Verona and the River Adige from the Ponte Nuovo (Bernardo Bellotto, 1747)